The Supreme Court on February 22 voted 10-5 to deem as resigned Cabinet members and appointed officials running for elective national and local positions in an election.
It essentially reversed its December 1, 2009 ruling, allowing appointed officials to run for elective positions in an election without them being required to resign first from their appointive posts.
In light of this, here is a list of Cabinet members who have filed their Certificates of Candidacies at COMELEC and submitted their courtesy resignations to President GMA, and the elective positions they will run for in the 2010 Elections.
- Eduardo Ermita
– for Congressman, 1st District of Batangas
- Rolando Andaya, Jr.
– for Congressman, 1st District of Camarines Sur
- Hermogenes Esperon
Head, Presidential Management Staff
– for Congressman, 6th District of Pangasinan
- Agnes Devanadera
– for Congresswoman, 1st District of Quezon
- Augusto Syjuco, Jr.
– for Congressman, 2nd District of Iloilo
- Arthur Yap
– for Congressman, 3rd District of Bohol
- Edgardo Pamintuan
Presidential Adviser for External Affairs
– for Mayor of Angeles City
- Raul Gonzales
Chief Presidential Legal Counsel
– for Mayor of Iloilo City
Here is another list of Cabinet members who are yet or are expected to resign, and the corresponding elective positions they will run for in the 2010 Elections.
- Alfonso Cusi
MIAA General Manager
– for Congressman, 2nd District of Mindoro Oriental
Also, here is a list of former Cabinet members under the Arroyo administration who have resigned before or upon filing their CoC’s at COMELEC and before the Feb 22 ruling, and the corresponding elective positions they will run for in the 2010 Elections.
- Gilbert Teodoro
former National Defense Secretary
– for President (under Lakas-KAMPI-CMD)
- Bayani Fernando
former MMDA Chairman
– for Vice President (under Bagumbayan Volunteers)
- Ralph Recto
former NEDA Chairman
– for Senator (under the Liberal Party)
- Silvestre Bello III
Secretary to the Cabinet
– for Senator (under Lakas-KAMPI-CMD)
- Anthony Golez, Jr.
former Press Undersecretary
– for Congressman, Bacolod City
- Luis “Chavit “Singson
Deputy National Security Adviser
– for Governor of Ilocos Sur
- Hermogenes Ebdane
former Public Works Secretary
– for Governor of Zambales
- Lito Atienza
Environment and Natural Resources Secretary
– for Mayor of Manila
- Avelino Razon
Presidential Adviser on the Peace Process
– for Mayor of Manila