November 21. Day Two of the official filing of Certificates of Candidacy (CoC) for those running for elective positions in the 2010 National and Local Elections on May 10, 2010.
So far, there are no big names filing their CoC’s at COMELEC. And as of 5:00 PM yesterday, 13 candidates have filed their CoC’s for President, and three for Senator — all of which are unknown to most Filipinos.
The deadline for the filing of COC is on Dec. 1. After this, the Comelec will start screening the COCs since the printing of the ballots starts in January 2010. Comelec Commissioner Rene Sarmiento said nuisance candidates pertain to those not capable of waging a national campaign. They also include those with similar names whose intention in running is to create confusion among the voting public, Sarmiento said.
– “Serious bets avoid first day of COC filing”, from Philstar.com
Even locally, GMANews.TV reports very low turn-outs on the filing of CoC’s, for as of 5:00 PM yesterday, only three candidates for councilor have filed.
* MMDA Chairman Bayani Fernando has “informally” left Lakas-KAMPI-CMD to join the presidential race as an independent candidate. He will officially resign after filing his CoC.
… the government would earn P5 billion annually in revenues if the game of chance, which is done clandestinely in many areas of Luzon under the auspices of so-called jueteng lords, was made legal.
– “Erap airs his pro-jueteng agenda on GMANews.TV’s ‘Examine’”, from GMANews.TV
* Apparently, only Ilocos Rep. Bongbong Marcos, and not the whole KBL itself, formed an alliance with Manny Villar’s Nacionalista Party.
* Sepaking of Ilocos, Sen. Noynoy Aquino is courting the Ilocanos by saying that if elected, his administration would consider burying the remains of former Pres. Ferdinand Marcos at the Libingan ng Bayani in Taguig City.
* Pres. Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo decided to stay away from future campaigns by Gilbert Teodoro, to give the latter a “free hand” in running his campaign.
* The Liberal Party, following the recent departure of former Sen. Serge Osmeña from the party, is trying to woo him back. But the party still decided to keep former Sen. Ralph Recto in its Senatorial slate.
“[Recto and his wife Vilma Santos are] already with us. It’s not a wise thing to get them out when they’re already in.”
– Florencio Abad, LP campaign manager
* Also, 16 party-list organizations have signed up for the 2010 Elections, athough two are still not yet accredited by COMELEC.
Under Comelec Resolution 8691, the filing of manifestation is open until midnight of December 2. List of nominees of the accredited party-list should be submitted until March 26, 2010.
– “14 party-list contenders so far”, from ABS-CBNNews.com
* The Pwersa ng Bayaning Atleta (PBA) renews its offer to the “People’s Champ” Manny Pacquiao to represent their party-list in Congress in the 2010 Elections.
* Migrante International held a “funeral march” yesterday in front of the COMELEC Office in Manila, after the latter deaccredited Migrante as a party-list. They are also calling for the resignation of COMELEC Chairman Jose Melo.