Newsbits from The Philippine Star:
* Pangasinan Rep. Jose de Venecia of the Lakas Originals warned the Lakas-KAMPI-CMD not to announce any standard-bearer for their party until the issue regarding the legality of the party merger is resolved by COMELEC. COMELEC is set to hear the petition filed by de Venecia on Thursday, September 17.
Meanwhile, MMDA Chairman Bayani Fernando is calling for a fair selection process for the party’s candidate for President in the 2010 Elections. He points out that “loyalty and dedication to the party are two of the important qualities of a future president.” Gilbert Teodoro just recently joined the party from NPC. Noli de Castro is not yet a party member.
* As always, the Palace does not care if Sen. Noynoy Aquino tops the most recent SWS Survey.
* Sen. Noynoy Aquino claims that the Senate is rushing to approve the split of the first district of Camarines Sur, and the creation of a new one apparently for Pres. GMA’s son, Diosdado “Dato” Arroyo.
* Sen. Jinggoy Estrada is ready to defend his father, former President Joseph Estrada, against any issues that may be thrown by Sen. Panfilo Lacson in a privilege speech today against the elder Estrada regarding the Dacer-Corbito double murder case.
Newsbits from the Philippine Daily Inquirer:
* Makati Mayor Jejomar Binay advised Sen. Noynoy Aquino to quit smoking or maybe get married for him to be elected as President. “When it comes to his smoking habit, he is not setting a good example to the public… Not getting married is a sign of an irresponsible person.”
* In a possible detriment to his presidential ambitions, the Dacer family would not hesitate to charge former President Joseph Estrada if Sen. Panfilo Lacson implicates him during his privilege speech today regarding the Dacer-Corbito double murder case.