I hope it’s not too late… We still don’t have Internet at home, plus school work first, so please bear with this late news… Anyways…
Environmentalist for President
An activist-environmentalist has stepped up to the plate and into a throng of big-time names and personalities, and announced his bid for Presidency.
Jesus Nicanor “Nicky” Perlas III’s resume is as follows, as reported by the Philippine Daily Inquirer:
- served as consultant for two administrations: for the Presidential Committee on the Philippine Nuclear Power Plant during the administration of former President Aquino and for the Philippine Council of Sustainable Development during the time of former President Ramos
- was a former chairman of Landbank
- never ran for an elective position
- won the Right Livelihood Award from the Swedish Parliament in 2003 for his civil society work
- also won the Earth Warrior Award from the United Nations Environmental Program in 1994 for leading efforts to ban 32 poisonous pesticides in the country
- opposed the opening of the Bataan Nuclear Power Plant and the plan to build 11 others during the term of former President Ferdinand Marcos
In a statement distributed during his announcement on Wednesday, organizers said that while Perlas was “not a familiar name to most Filipinos,” he spent the last 40 years “in dedicated and quiet public service.”
– From the article Environmentalist to run for president, by Edson C. Tandoc Jr. of the Philippine Daily Inquirer dated June 17, 2009
Fernando fights for his right
The newly-merged Lakas-KAMPI-CMD Party said last June 24 that later this month, they would announce their official candidates for President, Vice President and Senators for the 2010 Elections.
Most members of the ruling party, according to reports, would support either VP Noli de Castro ot Defense Secretary Gilbert Teodoro, who were both non-members of the party… which raised the ire of another presidential aspirant, MMDA Chairman Bayani Fernando.
In a Philippine STAR article dated June 9, Fernando vowed to block either de Castro or Teodoro if and when the party chooses them as its standard bearer.
Definitely I will block the entry of De Castro and Teodoro to the party because I am of the belief that party members should be the top priority in the search for a presidential candidate, not party outsiders.
– MMDA Chairman Bayani Fernando
- Environmentalist to run for president, by Edson C. Tandoc Jr. of the Philippine Daily Inquirer
- Admin bet for president out by July, from ABS-CBN and Yahoo! Philippines News
- Fernando vows to block Teodoro as Lakas bet, from philstar.net