May 28 is Flag Day.
The merger between the Kabalikat ng Malayang Pilipino (KAMPI) and the Lakas-Christian Muslim Democrats (LAKAS-CMD) parties is set to happen tomorrow (Thursday, May 28).
Afterwhich, DILG Secretary and KAMPI President Ronaldo Puno formally announces his Vice Presidential bid in the coming elections.
I am going to be seeking the nod and approval of the joint Lakas-Kampi-CMD (for vice president) if and when a major convention takes place. If I don’t get it, I will be like a good soldier and accept the decision.
– Ronaldo Puno
Meanwhile, according to Defense Secretary and presidential aspirant Gilbert Teodoro, he and Puno would make a very good tandem in the 2010 Elections.
If we base it on our working relationship now, it is a very strong partnership, our experience, our cooperation will be good for the country
– Gilbert Teodoro
Senator Juan Miguel Zubiri on Tuesday hinted a possibility of a Noli de Castro-Gilbert Teodoro tandem in 2010. The question is: Who’s the standard bearer?
On the other side of town, Makati Mayor Jejomar Binay stated that he would willingly run as Vice President if former President Joseph Estrada would seek re-election.
Once President Estrada runs, I will seek the vice presidency. I hope he will choose me. One must first be a good follower before he becomes a good leader.
… I can say that among the presidentiables, President Estrada and I could be considered as champions in local governance, having served for several decades as mayor.
– Jejomar Binay
If Estrada decides not to, he would certainly run for the Presidency.
I am still thinking about the presidency. But I’m pretty sure of running for vice president. But I will not run for a position lower than vice president. I will not run for senator… I would rather rest.
– Jejomar Binay
Front-runners List Update:
Confirmed/Reported to run for President:
- Makati Mayor Jejomar Binay
- Vice President Noli de Castro
- Former President Joseph Estrada
- MMDA Chairman Bayani Fernando
- Senator Panfilo Lacson
- Senator Loren Legarda
- Senator Mar Roxas
- Defense Secretary Gilbert Teodoro
- religious leader Bro. Eddie Villanueva
- Senator Manny Villar
Confirmed/Reported to run for Vice President:
- Senator Francis Pangilinan
- DILG Secretary Ronaldo Puno
- Quezon City Mayor Feliciano Belmonte
- Senator Francis Escudero
- Senator Richard Gordon
- Pampanga Governor Ed Panlilio
- Batangas Governor Vilma Santos
- TESDA Chairman Augusto Syjuco
- “Secretary Puno to run for VP in 2010 elections,” by Ben R. Rosario of the Manila Bulletin
- “Teodoro sees ‘good tandem’ with Puno in 2010.” From Inquirer.net
- “Binay willing to settle for VP,” by Jose Rodel Clapano of the Philippine STAR